Delegating isn’t always easy for entrepreneurs. We are used to doing everything ourselves and doing it the way we want. What happens when we don’t understand the importance of delegating is that we become extremely overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done and our business stagnates because we can’t devote the time needed to sales and marketing.
Following are some quick tips for delegating to others:
- Realize that when you delegate, you have a much greater opportunity to make more money. When you delegate the time consuming tasks that need to get done, but don’t bring in money to your business, you can focus on your money making activities.
- Make a list of the things you don’t like to do or aren’t any good at and delegate those first. If you find yourself dreading or putting off certain tasks, have someone else do them.
- Decide what you skills the person you are delegating to needs to have. If you need someone to help promote your events, delegate to someone who has event promotion experience.
- You may need to delegate to more than one person. If you need assistance with online marketing and bookkeeping, it may make sense to delegate these two different tasks to two different people.
- Make sure you are communicating regularly. Clear, concise communication is very important when delegating. Decide how and when you wish to communicate. Be available to that person should they have questions.
- Share your business vision with your team. When you share your vision with the people to whom you delegate, they can then understand the “big picture” you have for your business. The more they know, the easier it will be for them to assist you. They may even bring some great ideas to the table.
- Think of your relationship with your team as a collaboration. Treat them as the invaluable part of your team that they are and work together to achieve your goals.
- Understand that delegating means that you trust the person you’ve delegated to, and allow that person to complete the tasks in “their” way. Someone may do things a little differently than you do and that’s okay. There’s usually more than one way to accomplish a task. Their way may actually be more efficient than how you’ve always done it.
Do you currently delegate tasks to others? What tips would you add to this list?
Don’t forget to sign up for a copy of my free report – 5 Mistakes Entrepreneurs Make When Outsourcing and How to Avoid Them. Just type in your first name and email address in the sidebar and it will be promptly sent to your email inbox.